Registered migration agents are authorised to provide immigration advice and assistance, including lodgement of visa applications. Agents must be qualified and demonstrate to the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority (OMARA) that they:
- have sufficient knowledge of migration law and procedures
- are a person of integrity
- are a fit and proper person to provide immigration assistance.
Only registered migration agents can legally give immigration assistance in Australia. To do this, they must be listed on the Register of Migration Agents, held by the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority.
Immigration assistance (under section 276 of the Migration Act 1958) is when a person uses or claims to use knowledge of, or experience in migration procedure to assist with visa applications or other visa matters by:
- preparing, or helping to prepare, a visa application or other document
- advising about a visa application or visa matter
- preparing for proceedings before a court or review authority in relation to a visa application or visa matter
- representing in proceedings before a court or review authority in relation to a visa application or visa matter